One thing that grabs people’s attention when they get an iPhone is that phone numbers on websites automatically become hyperlinks. Click on a number, and the iPhone asks you if you want to call that number.
Firefox on your computer has this same ability! You can make Firefox recognize phone numbers and call them up using your favorite VOIP app– I use Skype. Ready to begin? Let’s go!
Choose a VOIP (voice over internet) application. Skype is a good choice because they have a desktop app for Mac, Windows, and Linux. Many other VOIP services I can think of (Jajah, Gizmo) work in a browser, so I don’t know how well they will work. You will see why in a minute.
Open the Preferences panel in Firefox. Go to the Applications tab.
Search for “callto”
Choose Skype (or your favorite VOIP app) to handle all callto links.
Voila! You’re done! Now telephone numbers on the sites you surf will automatically become callto links!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Google Chrome for Mac will hit beta by December (downloadsquad.com)
- Firefox 3.5.5 Update Fixes Critical Security Bug [Updates] (lifehacker.com)
- Source: Jajah In Middle Of Bidding War That Could Drive Price Up To $400 Million (techcrunch.com)
- Understanding Character Sets or: Why do I See Funny Characters in Firefox? (slumpedoverkeyboarddead.com)
- Mobile operators concede defeat to VoIP services (en.onsoftware.com)
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.